It’s safe to say that peanut butter is the best thing since sliced bread, or should we say, the thing that goes best with sliced bread. Peanut butter can be added to many recipes and makes for a healthy snack at a fraction of the cost of other processed foods. But, many are not aware of the possibilities of peanut butter – they’re endless and underused. While the classic PB&J is great, use your imagination next time you’re in the kitchen.
Here are a few suggestions from Mark Bittman, cookbook author and food writer with the New York Times. His article, Exploring peanut butter’s potential will up the peanut ante in your diet:
- • It’s an easy substitute for tahini for quick meals like cold noodles with peanut sauce, or hummus and baba ghanouj made with peanut butter
- • It’s a natural addition to curries, stir-frys and noodle dishes
- • Peanut butter gives oatmeal a tasty kick
- • Stir peanut butter into stewed lentils and vegetables with curry powder
- • Smear peanut butter on a pork burger
- • Roast peanut butter-stuffed jalapeños with a simple satay-like sauce of peanut butter, soy sauce, orange marmalade and red pepper flakes
The APC frequently posts new recipes online, so don’t forget to check out the latest peanut-inspired recipes.