Peanut butter smothered on apples. What snack could taste better and provide the same nutritious kick? This snack combines two staples in the homes of many Canadians and will keep you satisfied and full longer than other snack foods.
To help spread the peanut and apple love, USA Granny Smith Apples and peanut butter made from quality USA peanuts were featured in a cross-promotion with a major Canadian retailer in August, 2011. The result: very satisfied customers.
The health benefits of this snack are hard to ignore. Peanut butter is a good source of many essential vitamins and minerals, including folate, magnesium, vitamin E, fibre, iron and potassium, among many others.
To incorporate more peanut butter into your snacking routine, here are a few ideas that are sure to whet the appetite:
- • Two tablespoons (30 mL) of peanut butter spread on apple slices or celery sticks is an energizing snack any time of day
- • For a blast of protein, add a tablespoon (15 mL) of peanut butter to a fruit smoothie – strawberry and banana are always a hit
- • Warm up a tablespoon (30 mL) of peanut butter in the microwave for a creamy and nutritious ice cream or frozen yogurt topping
- • Give your veggies an extra nutrition boost by swapping your usual dip for peanut butter
- • Drizzle a mixture of warm peanut butter and honey on top of yogurt or granola for a treat at breakfast or snack time
- • Incorporate peanut butter into your baking for a boost in taste and nutrition
Check out www.peanutbureau.ca for more delicious – and nutritious – recipes for the whole family.